Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Just Moved

A little less than a week ago, I moved from Sitka, Alaska to Portland, Oregon.  Two people have already commented on how the move is about finding a new me.   I think its just about finding me.  I'm pretty sure I'm only as new as I ever was or going to be.  What is new is the way I go about presenting, identifying and taking care of me.  

Right now I'm sitting in my new sparsely furnished antique apartment listening to the sound of chainsaws and fire trucks and smelling the lingering smell of smoke from the fire that happened two houses over while I was out.  Thank the good lord, or whatever is, for it being two houses over.  I thought it might of been mine.  There were a lot of fire trucks, that first appeared three to four blocks away.  

There are a lot of homeless people in this city.  Even more it seems from a few moments ago.  I can't help but think how selfish we, people, can be.  I was just walking home from buying rug for the kitchen, thinking about how I spent too much, while walking by people living out of carts and coming home to a neighbor whose lost of a home only to thank a figure who may or may not exist for thinking well enough of me to avoid burning my things.  

I'm here to write.  I hope I do.  I have not a job yet, have dipped too far into my savings but have been undeniable busy.   I've met up with former professors, who were wonderful, comedic and delightfully interesting to be around.  I ran into a friend, who was in town for the weekend and spent a day with her (Cerissa) and met with an Ex-boyfriend (Peter) whom should remain a good friend but, agreed upon by both parties, at a distance.  Other random things I've done include: cleaning every square inch of the new apartment (except for the bathroom, that comes last) gone to the Byways cafe featured on Diners, Drive ins, and Dives, got whistled at and called beautiful by complete strangers and have received the best haircut I've ever had.  

I think I'm well on my way to discovering the new parts of the original me, but there is still so much more to do.  More to come as the days go by.  .  . 

2 comments:

Leeann said...

You are so brave--I admire you. Hey we'll be in Portland in a couple of weeks for a wedding. We should have lunch together or something!

PC said...

So are you, I mean you just moved as well and set up a nice little home and have a great work set up. Lunch or something would be great.

Thanks for the comment.